Sunday, January 14, 2007

Order and Disorder

When I called home last weekend, my mom greeted for my birthday, which was to come in three days. I told her that I would call her on my birthday. She said “That’s ok, just in case we couldn’t talk on that day!” Then, my birthday came and I tried calling home but only to find nobody there. I called my brother and he told that one of my Dad’s cousins in Coimbatore had a heart attack and passed away the previous night.

He was just forty, his wife 32. Three kids of age 9, 7 and 5. There are no words to express this. I can’t even think of the plpight of those kids. I want to meet them when I go there and to see if I can do something for them. What can be done? It’s a loss of life. Why should this happen?

Few months back, I was reading a blog "My mazed interior" where the blogger had written about a book she had read. The book said, “There's no chaos in the world, only order. There are no coincidences - ever. Our lives aren’t run by good or bad luck, but by an intelligent process designed to help us evolve into our best selves”. And, she wrote, “I was so struck by this thought because it looks like it is the most sensible way of accepting all that happens around us each day. Of course, this doesn’t clear the dilemma about whether God exists or not. I would however prefer to believe that there is a bigger power above (I am not sure if this is a person or thing) that governs all of life and that it arranges all that happens, to be the way it is. Whether this a good or bad power is still debatable I guess”.

My first thought after reading it was, “wow! How true!” Next moment, I realized that it is easy for me to say. How about telling this intelligent design theory to someone who is in pain, to someone who is enslaved for generations? We need this theory to ‘accept’ what happens! To act? Should we throw this theory away?

Few days later, I was talking to my roommate when he told the following, not in exact words. “Every single person in this whole world has unique finger prints, isn’t it beautiful? I feel it takes an omniscient power to do this.” I replied, “I take this ink bottle, and drop it from 4 feet above the ground. I do it everyday. Do you think it will ever repeat a pattern on the floor?” It doesn’t take a super power. There is no need for a super power. Yes, it is beautiful, but there is no order. It’s just disorder, which is beautiful at times, or most of the times.

This week, another friend of mine was talking about God.
God knows that the Satan would push Adam and Eve into sin; everything
happened/happens the way God wanted; man’s journey is to become pure so that God will accept him.
Oh my! In the matters of faith, I don’t argue much. More so, because he was so honest and serious about this. I just told him that I don’t feel the way he does.

This reminded me of something I wrote in Tamil few months ago.
“onRaiyonRu uNdu vaazhum uyir padaithu, kaNdu kaLitthirukkum karuNaithaan ennae?”
To translate, "How kind He is, to create lives that feed on other lives, and to admire that!"

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi,

That was a good one. It is always too confusing to hold someone or something for what is happening around you. But it does happen, nevertheless. And we all have our own ways of accepting or rejecting these happenings, the ways that help us move on with life.

Thanks for my blog's mention in your post.

வித்யாசாகரன் (Vidyasakaran) said...

Thanks Savitha.
I agree, except the part about 'rejecting'. How can we reject something that has happened? We can only accept. Actually, there is no question of whether one accepts. I feel, it is only how one understands and moves on, as you say.
Thanks again!

Bakiaraj said...

I dont have the words to express my appreciation for the honesty with which this blog has been written.Though I feel heavy and,I should say, a bit pained that I am not able to share the happiness and joy faith gives me, I also understand it's in no mans hands.. it will take a GOD to instill faith. Neverthless, I will keep praying that you find the answers that you are searching for.

வித்யாசாகரன் (Vidyasakaran) said...

Thanks Dinesh, for the appreciation and for sharing your thoughts.
It's so nice of you to feel the way you feel.
Losing faith is no happy thing, much like having to let go many other things in life.