Sunday, February 26, 2006

Gone with the Wind


In today's 'The Hindu', there was a news item, which said that the tests for Avian Flu have shown positive results in Gujarat. Just below that, a photograph showed people from some Poultry Welfare Association eating chicken and egg in a public place to (dis)prove a point.

Yesterday, I completed reading 'Gone With the Wind' by Margaret Mitchell, which I was reading for the past few weeks. A moving experience. When I read the Avian Flu news today, I was reminded of Ashley in Gone With the Wind, who loses his old world that he belonged to, at the break out of the civil war. He is shown as a loser who was not able to adapt to the changed times, though he was very much aware of it, even before it changed. But, Rhett Butler, who makes most of the changed situation, aka fall of a civilization, longs to go back to his old days, at the end of the novel. Even before that, he starts making amendments for everything he did before.

That set me thinking about me, as it happens invariably every time. Will I be able to survive if the times change now? If the industry I work for breaks down? If the country that I live in goes for war? If the world that I live in is to face new dangers? Though at first it looks like I will struggle more than Ashley, I feel, I will be able to make it. Reason is, I don't feel I belong to the present times in the first place. Not with the present times, not with the place I live in, not with the country I am born in, not with the job I am doing, not with the group I live with. No. I don't have a feeling of belongingness. If the present is denied, probably I will get to know if I really belonged to something. What will that do to me? Will it break me down? I don't think so. I think, becoming aware of what I belonged to, I might pursue life with a better interest. (So, am I looking for a disaster, just to keep me high? Horrifying!) Or probably, I might continue to do anything just to be alive on that day, with no belonging feeling again.

Oh! I just realize that my previous sentence probably explains what Scarlett did in that novel. But, at the climax, she does realize that she loves Rhett. (If one doesn't realize love, how can one say it was there? It's like this. They say that a cow knows only two colors black and white. We know a few more. But there might be a lot which we can't recognize. So they don't exist to us, do they? mmmm... probably it's not like this) OK. When I touch Love, that's where I should stop a post titled 'Gone with the wind'.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, what do you want me to do?

வித்யாசாகரன் (Vidyasakaran) said...

Hmmm.... I should punish you for this comment. ok. Read my next post too! :-)